Fortnightly rant or so

Sometimes I just have to get something off my chest. So why inflict it on the whole world, you might ask? Why not, I might reply.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jackson, Tennessee, United States

I write a lot, and I try my hand at drawing. I was once wrestled to the ground by a set of bagpipes. Check out my work at StCelibart.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

We're doomed

I realized something today that makes me lose all hope for the world. In other words, I've had to submit to the words of Christ.

The acquisition and maintenance of power is everything in this world. In most places, certainly through most of history, it's not the enlightened people who talk who come to power, it's the thugs with weapons. But even in societies where you can talk your way into power, still the desire to retain it is intoxicating (witness Robert Byrd, in the Senate since WWI and running again this year). Wars are fought primarily to either force governments, or particular people governing, to change, or to prevent them from changing. This is why we will ultimately fail in the war against terrorism: Terrorists don't threaten governments. Their purpose is to stop cultural and economic activity through terror - frightening everyday people into changing their habits for fear they will die. But the survival of governments, even Israel's, are not seriously threatened. This is incredibly cynical, but political leaders will eventually lose resolve because their power is not on the line.

Now consider antichrist. Let this war go on another 30, or 50, or 100 years, and how many peace-loving people around the world are going to be completely exhausted opposing the tiny, tiny percentage of the population who enjoy blowing them up? Already I hear many Americans say they wish the war in Iraq would go away, after some three years. In the meantime, terrorist groups grow into political parties, as they already are. So then a terrorist leader arises, either an individual or a group, and promises an end to all the violence, even against Israel. How many people are going to flock to him? Everyone? Governments won't play the key role in this decision, the general population of the world will welcome this peace.

I think the American ideal of spreading peace through representative government, personal liberty and economic opportunity is sincere. It is also doomed. "There will be wars and rumors of wars;" "And he will confirm the covenant with many for one week; and in the midst of the week he will cause the sacrifice to cease;" "If any man say to you, 'Lo, there is Christ,' believe it not;" "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

1 Comments:

Blogger P. Beard said...

Ok Craig, you are starting to scare me. Since when did you become cynical. No more Bishop's Beard for you!
I do agree with your point and I join with the chorus of saints, "How long oh LORD?"

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home