Fortnightly rant or so

Sometimes I just have to get something off my chest. So why inflict it on the whole world, you might ask? Why not, I might reply.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jackson, Tennessee, United States

I write a lot, and I try my hand at drawing. I was once wrestled to the ground by a set of bagpipes. Check out my work at StCelibart.com

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Devil made them do it

The Vatican has announced that Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin were possessed by the Devil, hence some 55 million people killed. I don't doubt the existence of demons and their ability to inhabit people and pigs. As well, I doubt I'm really equipped to convincingly argue with Vatican theologians. However, pronouncements like these seem to me to be grounded in the idea that people generally are OK. It puts me in mind of Flip Wilson in drag: Whatever little thing happens, well, it wasn't me, the devil made me do it. The only way to explain monsters like a Hitler, or Dahmer, or Speck, or the child molester down the street, is to attribute their behavior to evil incarnate.

But that's not what scripture says about us: “Behold, I was shaped in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.” Ps. 51:5.
“Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? Not one,” Job 14:4.
“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men ...” Rom. 5:12a.
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart …” Jer. 17:9-10a.
“But we are all like an unclean thing. All our righteousnesses are like filthy rags. ...” Is. 64:6a.

James tells us, "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death." (1:14-15). The sin we commit arises from our own lusts. The role of Satan, though he's often referred to as a tempter, more often shows up as accuser or in simple destruction: He takes over someone's life, ruins it, then throws the man (or pig) away. Note that Jesus' temptation came directly from Satan; He had no inner lusts, so His temptation had to come from an outside source. Not so with the rest of us.

Scripture shows that from God's perspective all mankind - the mass murderer, the child molester, the shoplifter, the evangelist, the nun - is evil to the core. Hitler, Stalin, and all those other guys did what they did because they were human beings, each put in a position with the opportunity and power to do whatever they wanted. We look at them with horror because we can't see ourselves doing what they did, but we'll never really know because we'll never have their opportunity. Know this, however: Hitler did not think he was evil; he thought he was doing the world a favor, particularly Germany. And while we find it impossible to join hands with Adolf Hitler in the brotherhood of man, remember too that God's perspective toward every last one of us is the same, so separate is He in His holiness and righteousness. Praise be to the Lamb! For He alone is worthy, and He has stood in the gap for us.

1 Comments:

Blogger P. Beard said...

Very good comments Craig. I particularly appreciate the Flip Wilson reference.

It is scary to think that we are all capable (and actually guilty becuase of our thoughts at the very least) of the same sins as Hitler.

Most people in scripture who were under the control of devils acted very strange -- running around naked, cutting themselves and foaming at the mouth kind of strange.

Hitler was a "nice" guy to those that he loved. He was a sharp dresser and a very good speaker.

Evil? Definately. But, who is responsible for Hitler's actions. Let me see, who could it be??? SATAN! No, Hitler.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home