Fortnightly rant or so

Sometimes I just have to get something off my chest. So why inflict it on the whole world, you might ask? Why not, I might reply.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jackson, Tennessee, United States

I write a lot, and I try my hand at drawing. I was once wrestled to the ground by a set of bagpipes. Check out my work at StCelibart.com

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Letter from Iraq

Here is an excellent letter written by a Marine in Iraq, which I found through TimEllsworth.com. A lot of what the Marine complains about are the same things I griped about in my last job (and a lot isn't.) Call me an idiot ("Who is this idiot?"), but this helps persuade me that the situation there is better described as a post-war period than a war. Of course this does not mean men and women are not continually in jeopardy there, but the job we do in sealing the victory would progress better if we first acknowledged the victory. We need to adopt the attitude of Iraqi police recruits he describes: These guys' bravery and 'tenacity' is mind-boggling. The only issue I might take with the Marine's assessment would be paragraph six - I hear quite a bit about Ramadi and al-Anbar province on the news.

Anyway, if the U.S. is in this mission seriously, we need to remember that the post-WWII era in Europe lasted for 45 years. At the beginning it was very rough rooting out Fascist loyalists and your run-of-the-mill criminal activity (rent "The Third Man"; you won't regret it), and it remained tense through to the end because of Soviet-bloc opposition. It will be a long slog in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and anywhere else we end up, as new governments struggle to learn to crawl even after dictators fall in only a few weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger P. Beard said...

Good point Craig. I saw a documentary called the "Lost Year" on PBS. The point was basically that we (Rumsfeld) blew it so bad the first year in Iraq that there is basically no hope. They said that we were welcomed as liberators at first, but now that momentum has collapsed never to be regained.

Maybe we should learn something from our experience in France on this one?

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home