Fortnightly rant or so

Sometimes I just have to get something off my chest. So why inflict it on the whole world, you might ask? Why not, I might reply.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jackson, Tennessee, United States

I write a lot, and I try my hand at drawing. I was once wrestled to the ground by a set of bagpipes. Check out my work at StCelibart.com

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

QotD

"But there were others (who worked in East Harlem), the regular parish staff, who gave their lives to it. They didn't just work with the poor. They lived with them. ... There were times when you couldn't escape the feeling that, no matter how hard they fought against it, they thought of themselves as a kind of spiritual elite and of all other types of Christian service as comparatively irrelevant. There were times when their lightness of heart seemed forced and artificial and when their total immersion in the life of the ghetto seemed to border on the perverse. There were occasional glimpses of bitterness, envy, dissemblance among them ..."

Frederick Buechner, "Now and Then"

Buechner is not gratuitously bashing people who can't defend themselves here; he goes on to call them closer to saints than anyone he had ever known. Statements like this make me look at the attitude I take toward my own walk and service. It hit me hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home